Will Young on prep school, PTSD and psychotherapy: ‘Shame doesn’t help anything’

After a breakdown earlier in the pandemic, the singer has found some solace. He talks about his experiences at boarding school, losing his brother and facing his anxieties

Will Young exits a cab and ambles up a quiet south London street towards me, where I’ve been loitering outside his terrace house like a superfan. No sooner has he shown me through to his garden than he has popped back out to buy cigarettes. There can’t be many pop stars who would feel comfortable leaving a journalist alone in their home, especially one who has had as many run-ins with the press as Young.

The walled garden is filled with bushes and trees that neither of us are able to name, as well as a tremendous number of plant pots. “I’ve gone completely insane: I’ve never bought so many bulbs in my life,” says Young, on his return from the corner shop. “Did you see the tulips out the front? I’ve gone potting-crazy. I don’t really know what I’m doing, but I have such a passion for it now.” His neighbours have started calling him “the garden centre”, as he is always trying to foist cuttings on them.

Continue reading...

source https://www.theguardian.com/music/2021/apr/26/will-young-on-prep-school-ptsd-and-psychotherapy-shame-doesnt-help-anything

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured post

Ethiopia’s controversial quest for the sea

https://ift.tt/4t29xJd Ethiopia is famously landlocked. That’s why the ambitious Ethiopian prime minister Abiy Ahmed has long harbored visi...