Australia politics live news: Jacquie Lambie demands One Nation apology after number shared online; Victoria records 1,196 Covid cases

Jacqui Lambie had to change phone number after being bombarded with abuse; Victoria records 1,196 Covid cases, NSW records 248; Penny Wong defends Labor on China; PM faces growing anger from his own ranks after tense party room meeting. Follow all the day’s news

Lorraine Finlay also says she doesn’t believe her past political aspirations with the Liberal party will impact her job.

Certainly my past political involvement doesn’t qualify me for the role, but it also isn’t a disqualification from the role.

Now the human rights commission is an independent, apolitical statutory agency. And as the human rights commissioner, let me be very clear, I am not a politician. It is not a political role. And I fully intend to operate within the established framework of the commission.

What I can say is my personal views, haven’t changed, but my role has, and I’m very aware that as human rights commissioner I do need to take a broader perspective and there are a variety of views and opinions that need to be taken into account.

So again, I don’t see this role as my personal soapbox. I’m not a politician by default, I am here to do a very specific job. And I intend to operate very squarely within the framework of the commission to perform these duties.

Continue reading...

source https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/live/2021/nov/24/australia-politics-live-coalition-backbench-morrison-joyce-barnaby-liberal-labor-politics-corona-victoria-sydney-andrews-perrottet-porter-alp-lnp-canberra

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured post

Ethiopia’s controversial quest for the sea

https://ift.tt/4t29xJd Ethiopia is famously landlocked. That’s why the ambitious Ethiopian prime minister Abiy Ahmed has long harbored visi...