Australia news updates live: bigger quarantine fines in NSW over Omicron; parliament under pressure on second-last day

Labor reportedly ditching fuel emissions standards policy; penalties of $5,000 for those who fail to comply with quarantine or testing requirements come into force as authorities attempt to curb the Omicron Covid variant – follow the day’s news live

Here is what Liberal senator David Van told the senate yesterday (he did a personal explanation later in the afternoon, but didn’t stand up at the time when president Slade Brockman asked if anyone wanted to withdraw their interjection at the time of the incident)

As you asked us to reflect, I reflect on my behaviour in Question Time and I acknowledge that interjections are always disorderly. I acknowledge I was making interjections while Senator Lambie was asking a question during Question Time.

And while I do not accept the characterisation of my interjections in the manner raised in points of order in that time, by other senators, I do regret the interjections and I apologise to Senator Lambie and to the Senate unreservedly. Mr President, I commit to holding myself to the highest standards in the future. Thank you.

Continue reading...

source https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/live/2021/dec/01/australia-news-updates-live-covid-omicron-scott-morrison-parliament-nsw-victoria-coronavirus-travel-restrictions-quarantine-australian-politics

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured post

Ethiopia’s controversial quest for the sea

https://ift.tt/4t29xJd Ethiopia is famously landlocked. That’s why the ambitious Ethiopian prime minister Abiy Ahmed has long harbored visi...